Sunday, August 19, 2007

libraries add videogame to collection

I dunno if I'll see anything like this at my local library (I wouldn't know--I haven't been there in years due to being on the run from overdue book fees o_o The library in the next town over is very nice though), but videogames are now flying off the shelves at libraries around the country, according to various news articles my e-mail has been bringing me (I know, that's some hard-core reporting on my part there //end sarcasm).

If you're one of these lucky libraries, bless you, and be sure to take advantage of the super-deal the library is giving you! Those games are at least $50! Give your librarians a hug! (I'm thinking for professionalism's sake, I shouldn't write anything when I'm wired at 1am)

All over-the-top hyper-happiness aside, there was an interesting, optimistic thought buried at the bottom of one of the article from Gaming Today:

One might think of this as another example of video games being shoved in the direction of art.
Maybe a tiny shuffle in that direction. In the original article Gaming Today was evaluating, one librarian noted that "offering "popular" or "recreational" materials is a part of most libraries' mission statement," and the first library used as an example in the article's opening paragraphs started their collection with "a new 50-title collection comprising games based on sports and animated movies." Not exactly the most thought-provoking material, but some libraries are recognizing literary value in more text-heavy genres like RPGs.

According to Gallaway [a former youth services adviser for the MetroWest library system], video game players have to think critically, finding information and then evaluating, organizing and using it. Many games follow a traditional story arc of characters encountering conflict and finding resolutions, and some even require a novel skill: on-screen reading.

"They aren't recognizing that video games themselves are literary," she said of critics. "I think in general we need to stop being format snobs."

The question remains--will games gain any more respect as they shuffle onto library shelves? Very doubtful. But it's a darn good deal. Check it out.

No comments:

ESRB Widget

(copyright ESRB 2008)