Monday, November 26, 2007

a waggle WHAT?

Years ago, when the Nintendo Wii was still a wee prototype, Nintendo gave it the sassy codename of Revolution.

As launch date crept closer, they bestowed the it with it's final, retail name: the Wii. Gaming magazines, online game communities/message boards, and the Internet in general exploded with laughter. Endless jokes ensued. The Wii was the laughingstock of the next-gen race.

And now it's being touted as not only last Christmas's, but this Christmas's hot thing to give the kiddies. It's fun! It's exercise!

And it's also being called "the waggle box" for some reason.

I looked at my Wii this morning. It's a solid white brick, with smaller solid white bars as remotes. No waggle, just white. I thought back to the ridiculous times my friends and I played WarioWare Smooth Moves. Now there had been some wiggling and flailing, but waggling? That makes me feel like a four-year-old who's getting their groove on to the Wiggles.

I first saw the nickname appear in a Gadgets We Want article on Forbes called Wii Rules, which was an article posted on November 16. Curious and wondering if I could find the term's origin (doubtful, considering this is the Internet after all), I ran a Google search. 527 hits at 8:30. 529 hits at 8:45. It's growing!

I guess I have to tip my hat to the smarty-pants who came up with "waggle box." Words we use construct the world we live in, and those two words definitely establish the Wii once and for all as a harmless, family-oriented, Wiggles-approved videogame system. [Note: Wii is not actually approved by the Wiggles, sorry]

= ?
_____________________________________________________

Just found an article from Kotaku from April 2007 that uses the term "waggle box" once. This phrase has probably been around for a while, but not used much.

No comments:

ESRB Widget

(copyright ESRB 2008)