Tuesday, July 10, 2007

4 days later and there's still chaos on the streets

Yep, it's been all of four days since the PS3's price drop of $100 has been announced. And I now see an article that I completely agree with, from Forbes.com:

"
Sony's best chance of catching up to Nintendo, and even Microsoft, in this round of the console wars is to produce a slew of highly anticipated, exclusive games for its system."
-It's the Games, Stupid, by Rachel Rosmarin (yay, a female writing about the game industry... you go girl *turns off the fangirl switch in her brain and gets back to writing*)

Seeing an article like this makes me very happy because it shows that once and for all that I do have a shred of foresight and even more amazingly, it was correct.

I'd been saying since the beginning of the next-gen (PS3/Xbox/Wii) "console wars" that a lackluster lineup would be the PS3's pitfall. Microsoft has Halo, Nintendo has Zelda/Mario/Metroid/etc, and Sony's got plans to release... *crickets chirping*.

And it's still part of my pithy prediction that if (emphasis on
if! I do not want to spawn any rumors) Final Fantasy VII was remade for the PS3, fanboys and -girls all over the world would go absolutely crazy, buy a PS3, and then start waiting in line for FFVII's release. In full cosplay of course.

I remember the hype that was started over a simple video in which scenes from FFVII were used to demonstrate the PS3's new graphical power. Fans (me included) were already foaming at the mouth at the mere suggestion of a remake.

Otherwise the PS3 might get snagged in the doomed cycle of:

Customer: Hm... no one is making any good titles for this totally awesome game system I bought... I guess I just won't buy any games until a good game comes out...

Game developer: Well, no one's buying games for this system... so as a game developer I'm not going to waste time or money developing for this system.

Customer: Hm... no one is making any good titles for this totally awesome game system I bought... I guess I just won't buy any games until a good game comes out...

Game developer: Well, no one's buying games for this system... so as a game developer I'm not going to waste time or money developing for this system.

Don't get caught in the cycle Sony! Use Final Fantasy! Use Kingdom Hearts! Use all of your lovable franchises and bring them over to the next generation! (Heck, Nintendo still hasn't gone wrong with Mario, and is still even carrying PokéMon pretty strong after more than a decade). Great games are still being made for the PS2 (i.e. Odin Sphere). Those need to be moved to the PS3.

Okay Sony, you've got my gameplan. Ready? Break!

//VERY IMPORTANT EDIT NOTES: I do plan to go over this article, or at least try to define some terms (i.e. "next-gen", "fanboy"). It would probably be a good idea to explain the phenomenon that is Final Fantasy VII. In due time though. We'll shoot for a week where I'm not working 57 hours (<-for real, unfortunately).

No comments:

ESRB Widget

(copyright ESRB 2008)